oh my god
god of cookery
yan can cook
lil b cooking
the stars are aligning
it is happening again
You see, that’s why I really work like a dog, and I worked like a dog all my life. I am not interested in the academic status of what I am doing because my problem is my own transformation… This transformation of one’s self by one’s own knowledge is, I think, something rather close to the aesthetic experience. Why should a painter work if he is not transformed by his own painting?
I. The critic is the strategist in the literary battle.
II. He who cannot take sides should keep silent.
III. The critic has nothing in common with the interpreter of past cultural epochs.
IV. Criticism must talk the language of artists. For the terms of the cenacle are slogans. And only in slogans is the battle-cry heard.
V. “Objectivity” must always be sacrificed to partisanship, if the cause fought for merits this.
VI. Criticism is a moral question. If Goethe misjudged Holderlin and Kleist, Beethoven and Jean Paul, his morality and not his artistic discernment was at fault.
VII. For the critic his colleagues are the higher authority. Not the public. Still less posterity.
VIII. Posterity forgets or acclaims. Only the critic judges in face of the author.
IX. Polemics mean to destroy a book in a few of its sentences. The less it has been studies the better. Only he who can destroy can criticize.
X. Genuine polemics approach a book as lovingly as a cannibal spices a baby.
XI. Artistic enthusiasm is alien to the critic. In his hand the artwork is the shining sword in the battle of the minds.
XII. The art of the critic in a nutshell: to coin slogans without betraying ideas. The slogans of an inadequate criticism peddle ideas to fashion.
XIII. The public must always be proved wrong, yet always feel represented by the critic.
1) The fav’s obvious use, APPROVAL, GOLD STAR, NICE TWEET
2) When you want to acknowledge others but have no emotional energy, like when you get a lot of replies
3) To graciously signal that a conversation is over, ending on a wordless bloom of vague good will
4) To “spine” down someone’s timeline (coined by @Trilety), when you love so many of their tweets and aren’t ashamed to show it
5) The Crush: when your crush signs offline to go to bed and all you can do is go to their twitter and smittenly fav until you fall asleep
6) To add extra punch to a retweet, “faved and retweeted”, the whole package, “holy shit”, max appreciation
7) favs to comfort someone who is depressed. it can be hard to know what to say. a way to signify, “i’m listening”
8) Subtle social engineering, approval intended to guide their tweets to a better place.
9) To remember something for later—this technique decreases in efficacy if you fav a lot, “favstorm” practitioners beware!!!
10) When something interests you or even turns you on but you’re too anxious to RT it because it would acknowledge you share that interest
Ensuing upon the Kanye-in-a-leather-skirt conversation, I felt like I had to rebagel plastic-lions’ link of G-Dragon in a skirt, onstage, with actual sequins and all. (She’s right about the key to all this being the knee-length silhouette; when a male performer wears a knee-length wrap skirt onstage it reads as a modified kilt, and a female performer would hardly ever do so.)
possibly irrelevant thoughts maybe:
- gd wears skirts fairly often
- gd wears and does whatever the hell he wants & i think it’s a large part of his persona / stage presence // i feel like he could out-alpha a horde of jocks even if he were in 6 inch heels and a miniskirt, it’s just how he is // i really enjoy the way gd performs masculinity, and “performs” is a key word there.
- skirts on dudes can be quite manly and a pretty nice look and just… gender-nonconformity (?) aside it’s cool that some dudes are fashion-forward and confident enough to go for it
A) What strongright said; B) Evolution of skirts GD has worn on stage. The latest iteration is the most masculine/androgynous/punk, actually.
I know less about Kanye West, but I do know he’s a big fan of Marc Jacobs, who - I understand - has been pursuing masculine crossdress since at least Bryanboy.
Which is what it is, and that unnerves the Immortals (with their bodies whole and perfect health and bubble of faux teenage invulnerability inflated to the point that it absorbs their entire lives (attempts,Blobbishly, to absorb everyone else’s, too.))
The prevailing narrative has to be that kink is a corrupt response to trauma, rather than a fairly obvious means of articulating, to one’s self, to one’s partners, what it is to live in a Universe that, by its nature, permits trauma. Beyond its interaction with the social signifiers we’re entrenched in, it examines consciousness itself, the experience of existence as an organism, and the negation and affirmation of each.
Engaging in play with fear, pain, and negation/death violates their sanctity, threatens to dilute their cultural currency in Binary Land (where there is light, and there is dark, and where we have the ability to cast you from the former to the latter at any time.) More directly: the problem with incorporating bondage and “torture” into sexual contexts is the suspicion it casts on our motives for binding and torturing humans at home and abroad. Stop making us feel weird.